Our 16 – 19 provision and pathways are designed to meet the individual needs of the pupils and support their preparation for adulthood. It is the continuation of our effectively sequenced MLD curriculum and extends the progressive development of knowledge, understanding and skills both academic and vocational.
- Preparing ‘people not pupils’ by supporting our young adults towards a more personalised independent pathway, whether that’s further/higher education opportunities or a stepping stone into the world of work and volunteering.
- Providing an opportunity for those pupils not quite ready for college or a large external education environment to develop their skills and confidence in a familiar setting on a smaller scale.
- A functional and vocational approach; pupils will continue to develop their numeracy, literacy and computing skills discretely, but with a focus on life outside the walls of Winchelsea and opportunities to apply them in a range of contexts.
- Project based learning approaches allowing pupils to develop skills over a period of time and apply them to achieve an outcome and experience success.
- Continued pastoral support and curriculum provision based on developing resilience, mental, physical and emotional health, self-regulation and life-ready problem solving. Pupils will be supported to develop their personal skills alongside the social and academic so they are able to take their next step as a well-rounded young adult with the toolkit necessary to thrive after Winchelsea.
Our provision is designed to support our pupils’ journey towards adulthood, the world of work and life beyond school. Pupils have access to a bespoke Post 16 teaching space, a common room and a purpose built life skills flat, The Coates Centre.
We offer a range of accredited qualifications and broader curriculum opportunities in order to provide a wide-ranging and balanced curriculum, which can be tailored to individual pupils needs.
- Entry Level OCR Diploma in Life & Living Skills
- ASDAN Life Skills Challenges
- Pearson Edexcel Functional Skills in Maths & English at Entry Level 1, 2, 3 and Level 1/2.
- Duke of Edinburgh Award at Bronze and Silver.
- Arts Award.
- A range of other courses or accredited opportunities as appropriate.