Safeguarding Information & Contacts
Safeguarding is the action that is taken to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.
- protecting children from abuse and maltreatment
- preventing harm to children’s health or development
- ensuring children grow up with the provision of safe and effective care
- taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcomes
Child protection is part of the safeguarding process. It focuses on protecting individual children identified as suffering or likely to suffer significant harm. This includes child protection procedures, which detail how to respond to concerns about a child.
Safeguarding children and child protection guidance and legislation applies to all children up to the age of 18.
Winchelsea School is committed to providing the highest possible standards in all safeguarding issues.
Maintaining the highest possible standards means that:
- We are committed to ensuring that all members of our community are safe and happy at school
- We are vigilant in ensuring that no risks to health or safety go unchallenged
- We are vigilant in ensuring that no person without proper identification goes unchallenged
- We are mindful of all the different individuals that make up our community, their needs, concerns and difficulties
- Should we believe or suspect any child in our care is suffering any type of abuse, maltreatment or neglect, we will always act immediately and follow up
- All members of our community understand their responsibilities in safeguarding and know who to report their concerns to
- We are committed to ensuring all members of our community are respected, valued and nurtured irrespective of background, race, gender, sexual orientation or differing ability
- We are committed to supporting any member of our staff who is the subject of a malicious accusation
Domestic Abuse Alerts
The Designated Safeguarding Lead receives a notification from BCP Social Care when Police have visited a home in respect of a Domestic Abuse incident where a pupil of the school resides. This only contains the date and time of the incident, name of the pupil concerned and parties involved. The DSL will liaise with the relevant staff to ascertain our knowledge of the circumstances in the family home and contact Social Care in instances of concern or where more information is required.
In school, Adam Bradford leads our safeguarding team, with support from Geoff Cherrill (Headteacher), Jo Snow and Michelle Boreham. Please do not hesitate to contact one of the team if you have any questions or information.
1. Bournemouth and Poole LSCB
2. Keeping Children Safe in Education
If you would like to view the Keeping Children Safe in Education pamphlet in an alternative language, please use the link below
3. What to do if you’re worried a child is being abused – March 2015
4. Information sharing advice for practitioners providing safeguarding services to children, young people and families.
5. Ofsted Safeguarding Children
6. Inspecting safeguarding in early years, education and skills settings
7. Working Together to Safeguard Children March 2015
8. Section 175 Education Act 2002
9. Department for Education – e-safety guidelines
10. Safeguarding: Disclosure and Barring – changes from September 2012
11. The Information Commissioner’s Office – Data Protection Act in Schools and Education
12. The South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL)
13. Family Information Service – Borough of Poole
14. Guidance for Safer Working Practice for Adults who Work with Children and Young People
15. Mental Health and Behaviour in Schools Departmental Advice for School Staff
17. Vodafone – Digital parenting
18. NSPCC Parent Helpline
19. Early Help Strategy
20. Anti-Bullying Strategy
21. Educate Against Hate
23. LSCB Child Sexual Exploitation
24. Charlie Waller Memorial Trust - Depression - let's get talking
25. Kooth - Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people
27. Family Information Directory
28. Child Line
Domestic Abuse Support & Information
Poole DORSET BH12 4LL
Phone: 0120 274 6240
Fax: 0120 273 3024